Listen to the
OT Schoolhouse Podcast
Earn professional development
You listened to the podcast, now earn professional development for doing so.
Earn 1 contact hour toward your professional development requirements by listening to episode 35 of the OT Schoolhouse Podcast and taking a 10 question quiz to demonstrate learned knowledge.
In this professional development podcast course, Jayson interviews fellow school-based occupational therapist, Colleen Cameron Whiting. Colleen has recently had two articles published (cited below in the resources) on providing trauma-informed care (TIC) in the school and today she brings to the podcast a model about how school-based OTs can work with other educators to creating an environment in which students feel safe and welcomed. We also dive into what exactly trauma is, how some trauma can have adverse effects on the developing brain, and what occupational therapy using a TIC model looks like.
Objectives for this Professional Development Podcast. Listeners will:
1. Be able to identify 3 levels of stress and how they may impact development.
2. Identify what Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) are and how many ACEs are considered above the normal threshold.
3. Identify tiered strategies to help build a trauma-informed school.
What you will receive as part of this podcast course:
- A reference page consists of several articles and related documents that will further your knowledge and provide you with research to guide a trauma-informed care model in the schools.
- Upon passing the short quiz, you will be provided a certificate of completion to use for state licensure and/or national board certification renewal.